Thursday, September 15, 2011

World Triathlon Champs 2011 - Race Report

Sunday, 11th September, 2011. Race day. I opted for the bus to the start which meant a 3am start. I figured I would be woken up by the noise and/or nerves, so thought it better to save myself the 40 minute walk in the morning on my already tired legs. I went to bed with Mr zopiclone the night before, so I was pretty much out of it from 9pm.

As expected we arrived at the race start some 40 minutes before they were ready to even start processing us. And that only took a few minutes. The bikes were all set up, so we only really had to pump tires, place shoes, helmet and drink bottle in the correct position. And then wait for another two and a half hours. Cheers, Local Organising Committee.


Warmly dressed, and waiting, and waiting...


Pippi, all set to go.

Finally, as 7.40am approached my age group was bustled along to the pontoon. It was a deep water start and the 80-odd competitors spread out over as many metres. And we were off. But something was clearly wrong in my mind. Orange caps (my age group) remained behind me. I eased back wondering why, but then a few eked ahead, and I realised I must be having a good swim. And indeed I was. It's been more than 25 years since I've raced that far in fresh-water without a wetsuit. While some said the course was long, I was pleased to have shed 15 minutes, around a third of my time over those years.

Soon I was onto the bike. It was a technically difficult, hilly course, and as expected many riders, including the slower ones were keeping left, when they were supposed to keep right. So there was nowhere to pass. If you passed on the right you risked outright disqualification. Some were DQed. Once again, I must commend the race organisers for this brilliant move. In Scotland we raced on the right, so there was no reason why we couldn't race on the left in China (i.e. in both cases opposite to what the local drivers did, or perhaps were supposed to do). Nevertheless I had a good ride. I was prepared to push pretty hard as I wasn't sure if I could run at all. I rode the hilly 42km in around 1:13. Pretty satisfied about that.

And onto the run. Three and a half laps with six nasty little climbs. But the rest of it was on the same rubber they use on running tracks these days - a legacy from the 2008 Olympic triathlon held at the same venue. This was good for my knee. Somehow I strung together a 52minute 10km. My slowest in several years, but when you think my two key training sessions were a five 90 second hill repeat, and 2.5km where I couldn't run under 5 minutes per kilo before being reduced to a hobble, it wasn't too bad. Oh, and I walked the Gorge Track just before I left. So again, pleased with that split time.

All in all I came in, in just under 2 hours and 41 minutes, beating a couple of my team mates, and around a third of the field. Although a few of those were rent-a-crowd locals who didn't really belong in the race, so they don't count.

So, mission accomplished, perhaps somewhat against my expectations. Here is my race in pictures...


Out of the water. My intent is clear.


Onto the bike. With same intent.


And carrying through onto the run.


Last lap, looking across to see where that damn big Aussie bloke is.


Nearly home, and starting to celebrate.


At last, the finish line, and I have a real smile for the first time that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment